The Georgia Women’s Bill of Rights
We, the Women of Georgia, have struggled individually & in solidarity for over 200 years to secure the same rights guaranteed to men in the U.S. and Georgia Constitutions. We are Mothers, Wives, Daughters, Sisters, Grandmothers, Aunts, Nieces, Cousins, Friends, Partners & Colleagues. We stand proud today to reaffirm & to recognize that women’s equality under the law & participation in the democratic process works to the advantage & benefit of society at large.
An Enumeration of the Rights of the Women of Georgia
Be it Resolved that the Women of Georgia are Entitled to:
• The Right of Women to Expect their State, County, and City Governments to Treat Women with Respect and Dignity.
• The Right to Legal Equity for Georgia Women and Children in the Georgia Code, in Legislation, in Ordinances and in Georgia’s Judicial System.
• The Right to Educational Equity in Primary, Secondary and Higher Education.
• The Right to Choose, Reproductive Freedom, Reproductive Health, and Healthcare for Women & Children.
• The Right to Equity in Employment, Business, Contracting, and in Retirement, Insurance & Pension Benefits.
• The Right of Women and Children to Live Free of Violence, Abuse & Harassment in the Home, School, Workplace, and Community.
• The Right to Affordable Housing with Adequate Transportation Options other than Automobiles & Quality & Affordable Daycare for Working Women.
• The Right to a Quality of Life which Includes Clean Air, Clean Water, and Greenspaces.
• The Right to have these Rights & the Values they Represent Reflected in the Legislative, Policy & Budgetary Priorities of the State of Georgia.
Drafted by The Georgia Coalition for the Rights of Women, July 4, 2002.
Founded by Lucy Hargrett Draper.